1) You’re Probably Wondering About the Name
In the 1940’s, the Ireys family came to Arizona from Minnesota to buy a ranch. They visited a few, and one of them had a dead horse lying near the road. When asked which ranch they liked best, the Ireys kids insisted on “the one with the dead horse.” When the land became a state park, the Ireys made sure that the name wouldn’t be changed.
2) Dead Horse Ranch State Park is Located in the Verde Valley
The developed part of the park encompasses 423 beautiful acres.
3) The Average Elevation of the Park is 3,300 ft
Translation: It’s the perfect mild temperature to do about any fun outdoor activity you can think of.
4) And Speaking of Activities…
You’ve got a slew of options! There’s hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, fishing or wading in the Verde river, camping, picnicking, and canoeing.
5) You Can Expect a Reasonably Good Catch
They stock catfish on National Fishing Day and Verde River Day each year. Between November and March, they also stock trout every other week.
6) But if Camping is More Your Speed…
Be sure to look into reserving one of 8 one-room log cabins. They’re separated from the rest of the campgrounds, so you’ll have the place all to yourself!
7) 6 Miles of the River is Part of Verde River
Here, they conserve everything it its natural state, so don’t expect to find facilities of any sort. Take this opportunity to get in touch with nature!
8) Verde River Greenway State Natural Has a Unique Ecosystem
It’s one among less than twenty zones of its kind in the whole world!
9) The State Park’s Environment is Ever-Changing
Because the river changes with the seasons, the surrounding life also changes. Keep a close eye on the cycles of the Cottonwood and Willow forests, and the different species of birds, reptiles, mammals, and fish… Anything that calls the river valley home!
10) Dead Horse Ranch Earned a Certificate of Excellence in 2014
This means that the travelers all had great things to say. We’re sure that you’ll enjoy your visit, too!
- Arizona3 years ago
This 5.8-Mile Hike Leads to the Most Insane Crystal Blue Waters in All of Arizona
- Arizona4 years ago
These 8 Charming Towns in Arizona Are Hidden Gems That Are Perfect for a Day Trip
- Arizona6 months ago
Take a Trip to This Beautiful Blue Beach in Arizona to Escape the Scorching Summer Heat