Connect with us

New Mexico

The most spectacular ancient ruins in New Mexico aren’t where you think

Published

 

on

The Navajo’s 200 Hidden Stone Fortresses in New Mexico

The Navajo built a hidden world of stone fortresses that saved their people.

After the 1680 Pueblo Revolt killed 400 Spaniards, the Spanish came back with a vengeance. Soon, Navajo land near Farmington turned into a war zone.

Caught between angry Spanish soldiers and Ute-Comanche raiders hunting slaves, the Navajo got creative.

Over nearly a century, they built more than 200 “pueblitos” on boulders, cliffs, and mesa tops. These clever hideouts had tiny doors, peepholes, and pull-up ladders for safety.

From Split Rock Ruin to the massive Crow Canyon complex, these ancient defensive sites still stand today as testament to Navajo ingenuity and survival.

Pueblo Warriors Overthrew Spanish Rule in 1680

The Pueblo Revolt killed 400 Spaniards and forced 2,000 settlers out of New Mexico. Warriors from 19 villages attacked Spanish missionaries and colonists on August 10, 1680.

They killed 21 priests and destroyed mission churches.

The rebels let many Spaniards flee south to Mexico but made sure to destroy Spanish papers and religious items before going back to their old ways.

This uprising marked the first time Native Americans completely kicked European settlers off their land.

Spanish Forces Returned with a New Strategy

Diego de Vargas took back New Mexico on September 12, 1692. He came to Santa Fe with just sixty soldiers, one hundred Indian helpers, and seven cannons.

De Vargas promised 1,000 Pueblo people mercy if they swore loyalty to the King of Spain. People called this 1692 return “bloodless” because fighting didn’t happen right away, but harsh control soon followed.

Spanish leaders quickly set up control over the area, punishing those who joined the revolt.

Refugees Fled to Navajo Territory for Protection

Some Pueblo people ran to Navajo mesas and canyons after the Spanish came back in 1692. Many Puebloan groups looked for safety in northwest New Mexico from 1680 to 1775.

Experts once thought a big Puebloan move to the Dinétah region caused mixing between the groups. Research shows most Pueblo refugees actually went to Hopi pueblos instead.

The Pueblo people who did join the Navajo brought building skills and practices that shaped the defense buildings that soon appeared.

Raiders Targeted Navajo Communities for Slaves

Utes, Apaches, and Comanches started raiding Pueblos and Spanish towns in New Mexico around 1700. Comanche raiders went west into Navajo country to catch women and children as slaves.

Records show that in the early 1800s, more than 66 percent of Navajo families lost members to slavery. Attacks came from all sides: Spanish forces from the East and South, and Utes from the North.

These ongoing threats forced the Navajo to create new ways to protect their people.

Navajo Built Hundreds of Stone Fortresses

Over 200 pueblitos popped up in the main Dinétah region between 1680 and 1775. The Navajo built these “Pueblitos of Dinétah” as defense buildings and living spaces.

Navajo builders picked spots that mixed natural defense with good positioning. They often placed sites so they could see other pueblitos to warn about coming enemies.

These stone buildings sat where people could see approach paths, giving folks time to get ready for defense or escape.

Boulders Became Natural Fortifications

Pueblitos typically sat in spots easy to defend along mesa edges and on lone outcrops and boulders. The high spots let residents see raiders coming from far away.

Split Rock Ruin sits on top of a 20-foot boulder, and people reached it using a notched log they could pull up after them.

The shape of the buildings usually followed the outline of the rock they sat on, using the natural land well.

These boulder-top forts were nearly impossible for raiders on horses to attack.

Crow Canyon Housed the Largest Defensive Complex

This well-kept pueblito went up between 1710 and 1745 based on tree-ring dates. The Crow Canyon complex has about 40 rooms and a three-story defense tower.

Experts found remains of eight forked-pole hogans, two sweat lodges, and several storage areas around the main building.

Three cliff-edge grain storage buildings also showed up at the site, letting people survive long sieges. Crow Canyon shows how Navajo defense building grew to meet the rising threats from raiders.

Construction Surged During the Early 1700s

Split Rock Ruin came about during the late 1720s or 1730s as raids got worse. Builders finished Largo School Ruin in 1736 and 1737 when Ute raiders posed the biggest threat.

Canyon View Pueblito appeared in 1734 as part of the growing defense network. The first four rooms of Garcia Canyon site took shape in 1712, with more added until 1722.

This building boom matched the time of greatest danger from slave raiders.

Clever Design Features Kept Inhabitants Safe

Building features included strong roofs, hooded fireplaces, hogan bases, and peep holes for doorway safety.

Most pueblitos had defense designs with low doors and small windows that attackers struggled to enter. The defense plans at pueblito sites had two main parts: early warning and control of access.

Several rooms had storage bins, holes for weapons, loom fits, peg holes, and Spanish-style hooded fireplaces that stopped attackers from coming in through the chimney.

Lookouts Communicated Through a Visual Network

The pueblitos formed part of a big warning system where different Navajo and Pueblo groups could alert each other about coming raids.

High on a mesa looking over the canyon below, Largo School Ruin offered key sight lines to other defense sites. Each pueblito gave a unique view and defense edge within the larger network.

Visual signals between sites allowed groups to work together against coming enemies using smoke signals, fire, or reflected sunlight.

Drought Forced Navajo to Abandon Their Fortress Network

The Navajo lived within Dinétah until about the late 1700s, when environmental and military pressures forced them to move elsewhere. By 1754, Utes had driven many Navajo from the upper San Juan drainage area.

Drought and continued warfare made life in Dinétah increasingly difficult around 1780, pushing the Navajo southwest to their current reservation lands.

The pueblitos stood abandoned as silent witnesses to this remarkable defensive network that had protected Navajo communities for nearly a century during one of the most turbulent periods in Southwestern history.

Visiting Farmington, New Mexico

You can explore seven Navajo defensive sites from the 1680-1775 period through the Bureau of Land Management Farmington Field Office.

The main ruins include Simon Canyon, Tapacito, Split Rock, Frances Canyon, Hooded Fireplace, Largo School, and Crow Canyon sites.

All are free to visit on BLM public land. Call Salmon Ruins Museum at 505-632-2013 for guided tours.

You’ll need a high-clearance 4WD vehicle for some remote areas. Get detailed maps from Farmington CVB’s website.

This article was created with AI assistance and human editing.

Read more from this brand:

Currently residing in the "Sunset State" with his wife and 8 pound Pomeranian. Leo is a lover of all things travel related outside and inside the United States. Leo has been to every continent and continues to push to reach his goals of visiting every country someday. Learn more about Leo on Muck Rack.

Trending Posts